Recent Posts

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Big Gamble

I was having dinner with my girl, FS, tonight. We were winding down our perfect girly evening at S Factor, which was great as usual! FS and I always have a great time together, and can talk about absolutely anything. Dinner talk tonight ran the gamut, but eventually led to her upcoming wedding, and then to the dating scene.

She told me tonight that she's so happy she found the love of her life, because she thinks dating is absolutely scary, and she can't believe how brave I am to do it. "What's so scary about it?", I ask. And she asked me a question I've never ben asked before. "How do you know he's not crazy???"

The fact is, I don't know. But if you don't try, how do you know what's out there? It's funny, while i do take the usual precautions, being scared of the guy has never crossed my mind, even though this city is filled with crazies! Maybe if i bring a guy home very shortly after meeting him, sure, the question, "How do I know this guy isn't a rapist?", might pop into my head, but obviously if there's any inkling, I just don't go there. Thankfully my gut hasn't led me astray in 20 years of dating!

But what is the alternative? Should I just not date? Stay home with my cat, and wait until Mr. Right knocks on my door? Outside of the business world, I don't think of myself as a risk-taker. I don't jump out of airplanes or buy high-risk stocks, but I do know that I am a risk-taker with matters of the heart.

No pain, no gain, right ladies and gents?

It's incredibly scary, to take that leap of faith. You're gambling with your heart, after all! I'll admit that when I feel myself realizing that I am into a guy, I get nervous, create doubts, and look for reasons the whole thing won't work. But I've learned over time that it's just jitters and completely normal. So I let it pass, and forge ahead.

I want love and passion in my life, not an okay relationship, or someone that's just there because "something is better than nothing". I guess I'd rather be happy on my own instead of the alternative. Who wants to go through life merely tolerating a person?

So I'll continue to take that leap...and hopefully, one day this big gamble will pay off!

2 comments:

Entrepreneur Chick said...

I want love and passion in my life, not an okay relationship, or someone that's just there because "something is better than nothing". I guess I'd rather be happy on my own instead of the alternative. Who wants to go through life merely tolerating a person?

Man, I am SO like you- and I've been deeply in love and happily married for ten years. I don't know why I want to tell you this- people think he's the black one! We are very different, but it works.

Sharon said...

I think it's great when you have someone who compliments you...congratulations on going 10 years strong, Entrepreneur Chick, I can only hope to find sustained love one day!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin