Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Getting to Know You

Whenever I start to date someone new, I always wonder when or even if, I should tell them about my pole dance classes. I mean, if it goes beyond a few dates, it's something that's going to come out sooner or later, so why not get it out there early? But, do I really want to give the guy the wrong impression? Actually, now that I think about it, what kind of impression does it give???

The thing is, if you tell a guy, and he's not totally lecherous about it, that's a good sign that he's not a pig, so it's a good weeding out tool. Obviously, if he acts like an idiot about it, well, then it's obvious that he's an immature ass and should therefore be kicked to the curb. Easy enough, right?

The whole topic usually comes up when the conversation turns to what you like to do in your spare time, and for myself and the men I tend to meet, the gym, yoga or running pretty much always comes into the mix. So that leads to more questions: what do you like to do when you work out, how often do you go, etc. More often than not, the conversation goes something like this:

Him: So what do you do to workout?

Me: Oh you know, the usual - cardio and weights at the gym, some yoga, and dance classes, stuff like that.

Him: What kind of dance classes, ballet or ballroom or something?

Me: No, kind of like a modern dance.

Him: What type of modern dance?

Me: Well, really it's a pole dance class.

Him: ...pole classes? You mean...like...stripper classes???!!!!

At that point, if they're pigs and/or not too bright, a huge cheshire grin will start to appear. So I have to explain that no, it's not stripper classes. None of the teachers, or even any students, in the school are strippers, they're all professional career-women or housewives who do it for themselves, their self-confidence, or to shake things up in their workout routine. Then I explain how S Factor started out, and it's philosophy. I emphasize that men aren't allowed in the studio, that it's a very nurturing environment, and almost like a sanctuary, and how it's extremely women-centric. I also explain that it's dancing for gratification of the self, rather than for the gratification of men, and that it's something I truly do for me, for the workout, and because I enjoy it so much.

They eventually get it, but they still have that little fantasy playing in their head. And why wouldn't they, it's only natural. It doesn't mean they'll get to see the fantasy come true though! Unless I'm really digging the guy, I don't even bother to get into the fact that I have a pole in my apartment anymore, that just opens up a a huge can of worms!!!

Then there are the guys who just don't know what the hell to do with the fact that I can pole dance. No interest in it whatsoever, don't want to hear about it and really don't want to see any of the new moves I've learned lately...those guys are kind of weird too.

I asked a few friends for their opinion about it the other day, and the feedback I got kinda surprised me.

B said why not lay it out there and see their first reaction. If they can't handle it, then they can't handle me. And, if I think he's an idiot, just say it for shock value and for fun. This is kind of how I've been approaching it these last few years. I have to admit, the reactions I get can be amusing!

C chimed in that it was too much info for a first date. And that, in his opinion, it would be just like asking what your favorite position is on the first date. C's opinion shocked the hell out me, are my class THAT big of a deal??? Have I become completely jaded to its shock factor?

My sister said I don't want to give the wrong impression, so I should lie if exercise comes up, but that's a bad idea on so many levels. You can't start out lying right away, where could that possibly go?!

And once again, what is this impression that people get when they learn about my classes, anyways?

J had GREAT advice. She suggested I keep it under my hat, wait to see if they make it to the fifth date or so, then just mention it casually one day, like a very blase, "oh, didn't I already tell you???". That way, I'm keeping him on his toes just when he thinks he's got me figured out, and I'll be even sexier than he already thinks. Plus, it's honest, I'm open about it, and it's just a part of my life. No big deal. If I downplay it, I'll seem super cool.

I liked J's perspective on it. Plus, the 34-year old, more mature me is trying not to let my libido make my decisions anymore because it just gets me in trouble. So keeping the classes under my hat until I REALLY get to know a guy seems like the smarter thing to do. J always find a way to get things just right, she's awesome like that.

But I have to come back to my other question... I realize that while I think it's a perfectly normal hobby and this is just me, doing my thang, not everyone is as open-minded. I'm not really one to care what people think of me, but this has me very curious for some reason...

Tell me, what do my classes make people think???


11 comments:

hayley sharkey said...

I find when I mention pole classes to anyone, male or female, there's nearly always an awkward pause... which I always have to fill in with a 'it's NOT stripping!' Having to de-sleezify it is so frustrating, makes me glad I'm not in the dating game anymore. Love J's perspective, definitely the way to go :)

~Rebekah said...

I definitely like J's perspective as well, and strangely enough, I can see where C is coming from as well. It took me a second to process pole dancing as a hobby when you first told me you were going to S Factor. I think that we are programmed to see it as nothing but sexual, although once you start explaining S Factor, some of the stereotypes are thrown aside. Keep dancing!

Entrepreneur Chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Entrepreneur Chick said...

Your pole dancing classes make people think, makes me think, that how come I'm not taking them already?!

Personally, and this is just me- I wait and wait until someone is really close to me before I start talking anything that's too personal.

People who have known me for years really don't know much about me.

I think your man needs to be worthy of your mort innermost self- and you're a smart girl, you can tell who's going to be the "pearls before swine" guy and who is not.

(I deleted my comment because I had typos! I HATE THAT.)

Aunt Juicebox said...

I've had this experience myself. Like, when exactly is the RIGHT time to tell someone you play the bagpipes? I mean, would they immediately think I'm a huge dork? Should I wait til I know they like me for me? ROFL

I think that info can kind of wait. You don't really want a guy who keeps asking you out because he wants you to strip for him. And you KNOW that's what will be on their minds after you tell them.

Sharon said...

Okay, so I may have tripped myself up here. Went on date #2 with the guy last night, and I was proudly showing him pics of my freshly painted, newly redecorated apartment on my iPhone. And then I realized, my pole is right smack in the middle of the pics! He actually didn't say anything...maybe since I haven't told him, he didn't realize...? LOL

A.T. Post said...

He might've thought it was the fire escape. You know, a pole you could slide down to safety in the event of a major disaster. However, if he already knows your apartment is on the first floor (if it is on the first floor)...you're screwed.

I know! If he asks about it, pretend your apartment has a second floor...and no staircase.

Sharon said...

That's the funniest idea I've ever heard! Luvs it - look ma, no stairs!

Actually, if you didn't know I take those classes, there's really no reason to think, "hey, what's that stripper pole doing in your apartment???"

A.T. Post said...

True! Without knowing you take the class, his brain'll probably edit it right out of the picture. "Must be a support brace or something."

Anonymous said...

He plays football, I pole dance.. it's the same thing. Only difference is.. society's view on what roles are socially acceptable. And so far society has been pretty fucked up. In which case, following your gut is the better way to go. You'll know when something's wrong for you. It'll be sure to tell you. The body never lies. Follow your own drum. Besides, one day your path will enlighten others, esp if the rewards are real. And frankly.. they are.

Sharon said...

That's exactly the same advice my Dad has always given me - that I should always listen to my gut, and if my gut is telling me it's not right, then pay attention!

I don't think he had pole dancing in mind for his daughter, but it's still good advice ;)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin