Recent Posts

Sunday, August 30, 2009

When Dreams Come True

One of my sister's childhood friends just got engaged. You would think this would be the most exciting time of her early adult life, but she's not exactly thrilled. He proposed on her 30th birthday, before thousands during the fireworks display at Disney World, which I guess is just a tiny bit of pressure.

When she announced the engagement to my sister, she wasn't wearing the ring. She fished it out of her purse, in a Ziplock baggie. Hmm..maybe it's just me, but that's not exactly a good sign. So, why isn't she excited?

They had never discussed marriage before, so the proposal was completely out of the blue. When they got back to New York, she asked him why. His great, romantic answer was, "Well, if it was my choice, I wouldn't be engaged at the age of 27, but you're not getting any younger, so I figured why not now."

Wow...this guy is a catch!

Wait, so let's bottom-line the situation here. His main reason for marrying her is because he thinks she's getting to be an old maid, therefore he has no choice. Yes...he is a winner, all right! And I guess she is too, because she didn't tell him to shove it.

What is going on here? What strong, intelligent, independent woman in her right mind would stay with a man who's reason for getting married is, "Because you're an old maid"?

Where is the passion, the love, the "You're the love of my life, I can't live without you. Please marry me and grow old with me"?

Why do people date and get married? I suppose there are those who do it to get out of this great circus we call dating, some do it for money or even a green card...some so they'll have a baby-daddy, and some actually do it for true love.

Tell me, what does a marriage make?

We're not sure what has happened in the last week, but as of now, the engagement is still on. My sister, fabulous friend that she is, has pledged to stick by her girl through the engagement, the marriage, and also for the divorce. Any bets on how long this one will last?

Sigh...I have to admit, it's stories like this that make me glad I'm single. I want deep, passionate, free-falling love. I want to grow old with someone that will be with me through the good and the bad, who will be my greatest champion, my partner in crime...someone to play with, and laugh over stories like this with! Someone who will love me for my craziness, will always know exactly when I need a hug, and who will love me in spite of the fact that I get irritable when I'm hungry, grumpy when I'm tired, and not exactly rational when I'm pms-ing!

Now that, my friends, is the kind of love that happens when dreams come true!

2 comments:

Purely Paige said...

Oh no! He is only 3 yrs younger than her & 30 isn't old! The reason he gave is just unbelievably ridiculous on so many levels! Does he understand that love is the reason he should want to marry her? And does he know that people get married when they are 60 & 70? What is the rush? They say that women have to be more careful when they are pregnant and 35, but women have babies at 65. Nothing should be the deciding factor in whether or not to marry someone except for the simple fact that you can not stand the thought of a second more of life without the person you are with in it. Was that really the only reason he gave her? Wow. That is all I have left to say.

Sharon said...

Like I said, he's a winner, alright! Hopefully the poor girl will come to her senses!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin