Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

When Does a Carat Become a Rock?


I was IM'ing with one of my favorite tech guys at our satellite office earlier today. He's a young twenty-something living way, way upstate, and has recently become engaged. He was so adorable and excited when he was planning the ring and the proposal, as he should have been! He proposed while they were vacationing in London (my favorite city other than NYC), and of course she said yes! The ring is a nice quality .76 carat, heart shaped, and she loved it. Which is all that matters, right?

Anyway, he was telling me about their trip home last weekend to see her parents and to show them the ring. He says to me, "It was kind of embarrassing." Now being the typical, slightly materialistic NYer, I'm thinking it's because he was afraid the diamond was too small, but then he says, "Because here I am, bringing her home wearing a ROCK."

...Huh?

He explained to me that she comes from a small town an hour or so outside of Boston, and all the women in her family sport about .25 carat rings.

HUH????

I have earrings bigger than that!

Once I managed to get over my shock, the whole conversation got me thinking: When does a carat become a rock???

I never gave much thought to carat size before. I guess I take it for granted, isn't that terrible? I do realize that yes, there is a correlation between age and size. Income and size, also yes. I don't want to sound like a hoity-toity, high-maintenance pain in the ass, but I thought the average in NYC is about 2 carats, 3 if he makes sick money. But I guess that's a generally metropolitan norm...?

So, why are our engagement rings so big here in the city, and why/when did that become the norm? They certainly weren't that big in our parent's generation. True, many upgrade at major anniversaries, but that's different - the kids are gone, college is more or less paid for, they can start spending on themselves again.

I've been conducting an informal poll since my IM conversation. Here in NY, amongst professionals, the average seems to be 2 to 2.5 carats, around 1 carat if they're younger or not very advanced in their career. Seattle is about 1.5 carats on average. LA...forget about them, it's Hollywood over there! While conducting my research, one girlfriend commented that the large diamond phenomenon is very specifically American and that she never saw such large diamond rings until she moved here from the UK. And then I realized...of all my friends who live in Europe, none of them even wear engagement rings, just wedding bands.

What is wrong with us??? Why is it so important? With today's divorce rates, I think we can safely say that diamond size has absolutely no relation to the amount of love two people share or whether the marriage will last or not. I mean, if I ever meet Mr. Right, and he proposes with some nicely-sized bling-bling, I'm obviously not going to say, "I do, but please replace this with something smaller". Also, I wouldn't feel less loved if it's not ginormous,
but, am I big enough to be okay with less than a carat...?

What do
you think about all this??? Is there such a thing as too big? What is our obsession with bling? And lastly, when does a carat become a rock?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Remind me to tell your next serious flame that you're ok with a .25 :D

Sharon said...

thanks for your continuous support...! :P

Purely Paige said...

I have wanted a big ring in the past. But when I found the perfect guy I would have loved a $20.00 CZ ring just to have him propose! That isn't what he did & I love what he did! But really it wouldn't have mattered to me one bit if it was pretty & CZ!
Interesting point you have about NY vrs Seattle. When I was thinking of anyone I could that put alot of importance in having at least 2 carats, the only person in Seattle I could think of is one of my best-friends, (I remember when I called her to announce my engagement, she asked me if mine was at least 2 carats & I told her I didn't have a clue! haha *gasp* I know.) she lives in Seattle, but she loves NY and actually almost moved there at one point! I do think there is a point when it is too big! I mean really, I would have to constantly take it on and off to keep from getting damaged or caught on something! But also, I was a Mom before we got engaged so my priorities completely changed, pre-mom I was much more into what other people think...

Sharon said...

Congratulations, Purely Paige! I'm so glad you found the right man for you, and you're right, who cares about the size if you're in love and happy?! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin