Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Comedy Sketch

It's funny when a comedy sketch you've seen actually happens to you. I know I've seen this sketch, so I'll bet this has happened to other women around the world...To those of us who have achieved a certain modicum of success, who are independent, self-sufficient, and who enjoy a little pampering occasionally. Tonight, I treated myself to a mani and pedi at my usual spot. I haven't been there in a month or so, and my usual lady was busy with another woman. No big deal, the owner said she'd take me. I think she needed a break from fighting with her husband, who always sits in the corner, reading the Korean newspaper.

I sat at the pedicure station, relaxing...She starts asking me the typical questions that get asked when you're getting your nails done: "Were you born here?", "Where do you live?", "What do you do?", blah, blah, blah. She eventually asked my age, and was genuinely shocked and speechless when I told her I'm in my mid-thirties. I know I don't look my age, but the speechless part was a nice touch, so I make a mental note to up her tip a bit. However, once she got over her shock and picked her jaw up off the floor, her very next question was, "Why you no married???"

Mental note to self: tip just went waaaayyyyy down, lady.

2 comments:

CRR said...

Sooooo funny! I have to pass this blog around.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Here is what it brought to mind for me. Here is a conversation I had with my 5 y/o nephew:

"Auntie ***** do you have a husband?"
"No honey, I don't."
"Well you had better GET ONE!"

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin