Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ain't Nothin' But a Number

For some odd reason, I find myself having a lot of conversations with girlfriends about age lately. There are those who are completely ignoring their birthday this year and would rather go backwards, some who have lied about their age for so long, they have to really think to remember their real age, and there are those who would never go back and just want to stay right where they are.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to fall into the latter category. I don't have a problem celebrating my birthday (yet). As the years go by, I feel less and less desire to acknowledge the number, but at the same time, I would never want to go back to say, 27. I wonder why we have such hang ups about our age, and do men have these thoughts too?

I suppose part of it is about milestones. Women have biological clocks that remind us of the passage of time. As the clock ticks and winds down, so does our ability to bear children. The other part is society's warped sense of gender roles. A woman who doesn't marry becomes an "old maid" and is in danger of becoming a crazy cat lady, a man is...well, he'll still be called a bachelor.

Why is there such a double standard? Why is an single woman considered "unwanted" as she gets older, but a man isn't?

I'm not talking about anything new, I know. It's just been on my mind lately. I realized today that I'll be 35 in just a few months, and while it's scaring the hell out of me, I'm kind of excited at the same time.

Let's see what the last half of my 30's brings, hopefully it'll be a good surprise!!!


4 comments:

A.T. Post said...

Hear, hear! You're just starting to live. You're out of them awkward teens and 20s. The fun's just beginning for you. Bravo, carpe those years.

Oh, and I guess the reason there's such a double standard as far as men and women aging is concerned, is...

...we don't run out of ammo. ;)

Jerry said...

Last July I turned 65, and I told the family I wanted no celebrations, singing waiters, or presents. I wanted to become 65 quietly...and maybe it will be the same when I turn 66.

The presents came anyway...but through the mail.

Age keeps marching even though we try to put it out of our mind. You are so young at 35...but old enough to have gathered wisdom. Relish this. Truly the best is in front of you.

Jerry said...

Just a note to remind you -- and it really isn't any of my business -- that you haven't written in three weeks.

Some of us miss you.

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry...I hate to disappoint, and I miss conversing with you all too. Life has been...a bit topsy-turvy lately, and I have been...well, I've been blocked. Will write something this week, promise!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin