Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Time To Fess Up

When it comes to my parents, I am an intensely private person. I don't discuss my love life with them...I never have, ever. I guess I don't want my Mother to nag me with questions and start meddling (she's really good at nagging), or maybe...actually, that's about it - I can't deal with my Mom nagging me with questions.

But, there comes a time in a girls' life when she has to tell her parents about her boyfriend. Like this weekend. Because Valentine's Day dinner and Chinese New Year family dinner just happen to coincide and you have to explain to your Mom why you won't be attending the family dinner. Well, I didn't really tell her about my boyfriend this weekend, I said I had Valentine's Day plans and left it at that. This afternoon was when the real torture and humiliation began...!

It all started when I called my mom this afternoon to see how her Valentine's Day was (my brother, sister and I bought our parent's tickets to see West Side Story). Their seats were awesome, and they liked it well enough, even though nearly half the show was in Spanish (which I think is weird). After we got that out of the way, there was a noticeable uncomfortable silence, because we were both obviously thinking about the pink elephant in the room, and the conversation went like this:

Mom: So...I haven't seen you since New Year's Eve dinner on Saturday...

Me: Right...since when do you see me during the week?

Mom: Well...um...how was your Valentine's Day dinner?

Me: Umm...it was nice...a little crowded, but nice.

Mom: What's his name?

Me: T

Mom: Is he white?

Me: Of course he is, who are you talking to???

Mom: Well...is it...is it...serious...???

At this point, I started giggling because, #1 - I am sooooo not ready for these questions from my mother, and #2 - if I really must have this conversation, I don't exactly want to be having it while I'm at work!

Me: Ummm...well...

Mom: No...???!!!

Me: No!!! I mean...well...yeah...it's getting there...

Mom: OH. Well...umm...do you want him to meet your parents?

Me: (Laughing uncontrollably now) Um...um...ummm...ummm....

Mom: Well???

Me: (Practically shrieking) I don't know if I'm ready for that yet!!!! Why, are you cooking dinner anytime soon?

Mom: Since when do I cook anymore?

Me: Well, how else are you going to meet him???

Mom: Well, I thought you would cook and invite us over to meet him!

Me: I have no dining area, you and Dad want to come over and sit on the floor around my coffee table for dinner???!!!!

And it wound down from there...thankfully, she didn't push me on it. We eventually settled on a family dinner in a few weeks or so and I can bring him home. God, if any of my coworkers overheard me, I must have sounded like a babbling idiot.

Hopefully I'll have regained my power of speech and will have the giggles under control by then!


5 comments:

A.T. Post said...

This made me chuckle. That conversation between you and your mum is just priceless. My mum asks me some of the same questions.

A.T. Post said...

P.S. Hey Chloe! I just nominated you for an award. Come on over to SV and take a gander.

Jerry said...

I'm here because Postman nominated you for the Sugar Doll award. Now I didn't know what that meant until I strolled over here to take a peek. It's obviously for writing talent.

I enjoyed this...and it brought to mind the first question my mother asked a long time ago when I announced over the phone that I was getting engaged. She asked, "Is she white?"

Mothers and daughters are blessed with (or plagued with) a unique relationship...this captured it perfectly.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Let the awards begin, Chloe! I gave you one too.

Love ya,
Momma

Sharon said...

Thanks all! I'm debating whether I should make T watch "Joy Luck Club" before the big dinner...hehe!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin